September 15, 2011

The Official Day of Independence

Today was Independence Day here in Costa Rica. This morning I woke up to the sounds of canons being fired and drummers drumming. The festivities start early around here. This morning there were celebrations taking place all over town.

Almost all of the schools had a parade of some sort and most of the families were out celebrating. At 8:30am I met up with some friends to watch a parade. The parade was wonderful. One thing that I enjoyed watching was the crowd around the parade. As the parade moved most of the crowd moved with it, that was an interesting site. In the States, it is common to see people sitting along the sides of the roads in their lawn chairs to watch a parade, but not here. Even as I came home tonight from dinner there were still people out and about in the streets. Celebrating my first Independence Day in Costa Rica has been a lot of fun.

In the morning, I will be heading to Bocas del Toro, Panama to renew my visa. Please pray for the students and I as we are traveling tomorrow and as we return on Sunday. I will be sure to write an update when I return.

No comments:

Post a Comment