July 25, 2011

Fear God...what does this mean?

So I left my last post with this thought that we need to fear God. Almost as quickly as I finished that blog, I realized I didn't understand what it means to fear God. When I think of fearing God, for some reason I automatically picture a guy with a Bible and a megaphone yelling at me about how I am going to hell if I don't believe in the God. But that is not what I am not talking about when I say that we should fear the Lord, so let's look at Scripture...

"The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom; all who follow his precepts have good understanding. To him belongs eternal praise." Psalm 111:10

"The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge, but fools despise wisdom and discipline." Proverbs 1:7

So it is safe to say that fear is a good place to start when looking at our relationship with the Lord. Do you "fear of the Lord"? Why or why not? Was there ever a time in your life when you did fear the Lord? If so, why?

God created the universe and He is the same God as yesterday, today, and tomorrow(Hebrews 13:8). He is the one who was, and is, and is to come (Revelation 4:8). So in knowing that to be true, our God as described in the New Testament is the same God as found in the Old Testament. This is hard for some people to grasp.

We want to think that our fear should be different than the Israelites' fear of God or even the unbelievers' fear of God. We want to make our fear seem less fearful and seem more as this respect and awe sort of thing, but this is not the way it should be (Francis Chan).

People in Scripture who loved God had this fear of God. What did Moses do when the Lord first appeared in the burning bush? He hid his face, why? Because he was afraid (Exodus 3:6). What did Isaiah do when he saw the Lord? "Woe to me, I am ruined" (Isaiah 6:5). What did John do when He saw the Lord? "I fell at his feet as though dead" (Revelation 1:17). That isn't normally the way someone would act unless they were afraid. What makes you think your reaction to seeing the Lord would be any different? When you see God you will fear Him, we all will (Francis Chan).

Without this fear of God we wouldn't be able to understand God's power. The same power that is available to us through the Holy Spirit. Why do we find comfort in the verse, "I can do all thing through Christ who strengthens me,"? (Philippians 4:13) Because we know through Scripture what God is capable of and we know His power and strength.

"The fear of the Lord leads to life: then one rests content, untouched by trouble." Proverbs 19:23

We start with this fear of God, but God out of His love for us doesn't keep us there. God told Moses, "I will be with you," God was comforting Moses (Exodus 3:12). God took Isaiah's guilt away and sin, in order for Isaiah to stand before the Lord without fear (Isaiah 6:6-7). With John, God said, "Do not be afraid. I am the First and the Last" (Revelation 1:17).

"I am the first and the last; apart from me there is no God," (Isaiah  44:6). In Isaiah 44:8, God says, "do not tremble, do not be afraid". We start with fear, but God does not keep us in that fear. God like He did with Moses, Isaiah, and John comforts us and tell us to not be afraid. Why though?

You see once you admit your fear and humble yourself before the Lord with the understanding that you are nothing apart from Him, you don't need to fear.

"If God is for us, who can be against us?" Romans 8:31

Once you see God than nothing else matters. You see this is not about you, this is about God. Your life is not your own. Apart from Him, we are nothing, and only through Jesus can we find our identity. Only through Jesus can we be secure and find comfort, in knowing that the Lord of the universe loves us enough to allow His only Son to die for our sins. God is that good and powerful that He can wipe away all our sins and guilt, and make us new. Through our fear in God, we are led to life.

"The fear of the Lord leads to life: then one rests content, untouched by trouble". Isaiah 19:23

We rest and become untouched by trouble, because we feared the Lord and have been led to everlasting life.

"The Lord is my light and my salvation, whom shall I fear? The Lord is the stronghold of my life, of whom shall I be afraid?" Psalm 26:1-2

If you have never feared the Lord, but have a desire for the Lord maybe this should be your prayer, "Teach me your way, O Lord, and I will walk in your truth; give me an undivided heart, that I may fear your name". (Psalm 86:11)

"The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge..." Proverbs 1:7a

No comments:

Post a Comment