January 22, 2010

Missions? Really?

  Wow, I can't believe how time has flown by. I just looked at my blog and I haven't written in 5 days, I can't believe it has been 5 days! Well, now that things are starting to get settled down I can write what has been on my mind this past week.  
  One thing that has really been on my heart this week is missions. I get asked a lot of questions because I am a missions major and a missionary.  I get asked questions such as, why don't you just stay here in the states?  Why do you go to so many countries? Why are you going to school for missions? Why don't you go to school for something else?  Why don't you get a real job?  How are you going to make a living?
  I know why people ask these questions, but one question that I always think is, why not?  The truth is I love God, I love people, I have a heart for the lost, I have a heart for children, and I just love to serve others. Yes, I can serve anywhere I know that is true, I have learned that a lot over the years. I use to think maybe God will just call me to one specific place, but the truth is God has shown me that I can serve anywhere. I just have to be willing to serve. I use to think, where is God calling me to serve?  Is it here in the states or is it overseas?  Then I started to think why can't it be both or how can the two be combined?  This is one question, I am still praying about but I know in God's timing I will know.  As for now, I am just going to go where He leads me even if it is for a short period of time.
   "It is not for you to know the times or dates the Father has set by his own authority. But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth." (Acts 1:7-8)
 To answer the question as to why I go out into the world to serve and as to why I am a missionary I have come to these conclusions.  First of all, God has placed it on my heart to serve others. Second of all, witnessing to others about Christ and sharing Christ with others is Biblical (Mark 16:14-15; Acts 1:8; Romans 10:14-15). My third reason is because there is an enemy.  I was reminded of this truth when I was reading a newsletter update from a friend who quoted the Scripture below.
  "For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms." (Ephesians 6:12).  
  The truth is that there is a world we cannot see and there is a battle taking place. Satan loves nothing more than to attack God's people, murder, manipulate, lie, and accuse others. This reason alone is enough to break my heart for God's people. I could go out and get a "real" job and make a lot of money, but that isn't what God has called me to do. I am not a missionary because I love to travel or because I love adventure. I am missionary because I know that even though God doesn't need me He wants me.  God can use me to serve and help others. God can use me in this fight against the dark world. I know that I cannot fight this battle alone but with God nothing is impossible (Phillipians 4:13). 

3 comments:

  1. I love your blog! You write very well. Your car trouble story made me laugh even though I know it wasn't funny to you at the time, it just reminds me of all our troubles we have with stupid vehicles and how strangers are always there to help, angels in disguise lol. Also your missionary blog (this one) really touched me. I often think the same thing about serving, that God really doesn't always have one specific place in mind for everyone at all times. He will bring peace to your soul when you are serving for his kingdom no matter what! I think he wants us to be happy much like our earthly parents. Any way, I love you a lot thanks for sharing your life and your heart, and thanks for being an amazing friend! Love. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. awesome writing Chelsea...i pray you are doing well...i subscribed now that i found your blog so i can keep up with what is going on in our life

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Darin, I hope you are doing also. Tell your family I said, hi. I listened to Bethany on her music website, she sounds so good!

    ReplyDelete