January 25, 2010

But...

  Last night, I went to this worship session called FUEL, which is a college outreach that is run by Eastview Christian Church, and the speaker was talking about Jonah and how he was running from God.  However, even though the message was really good the one thing that caught my attention was the word "but".  The pastor talked about how we shouldn't say "but" to God and how we shouldn't try to run away from God, even though in our own lives we have all runaway from God at one point.  We should give every part of our life over to Him, like I said it was a really good message.  However, the one thing that I couldn't get out of my mind was this word "but".
  A couple of years ago, I remember I was in a morning group devotion and our leader pointed out this word "but" to the group.  I don't remember exactly what she said but I do remember this. Whenever you see the word "but" something is about to happen, God is doing something. He just doesn't let things stay the way they are, He transforms them. Now every time I read my Bible and I come across this word "but" I highlight it in someway, and I have found it is true, whenever you see the word "but" something is happening.

Take these passages for example:
"To the roots of the mountains I sank down; the earth barred me in forever. But you brought my life up from the pit, O Lord my God" (Jonah 2:6)
"But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well." (Matthew 6:33).
"The son said to him, "Father, I have sinned against heaven and against you. I am no longer worthy to be called your son. But the father said to his servants, "Quick! Bring the best robe and put it on him. Put a ring on his finger and sandals on his feet" (Luke 15:21-22).

Isn't it great that there is a "but" in our stories as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment